May 25, 2011

Emerging

Posted by Jan on Wednesday, May 25, 2011 with No comments
So this morning, in the blogger comments, I received a subtle hint from Meghan that I haven't been around too much. And Meghan, you are right. It's been a weird month.

So many things tipped me out of my routine. And let me tell you, I am the friggin' queen of routine! Extra doctors appointments, AWFUL New England weather, Blogger down time, family obligations, deadlines for my hobby of photography, new computers and cameras.... Everything is out of whack.

But things are starting to settle down. I have been keeping up with as much of the physical exercise as possible, but there came a point last week when I got on the treadmill for 3 minutes and turned it off. My muscles and joints were screaming and it was at that point I knew I needed a break. So that's what I have done. I kept up with some light bicycling and weight lifting, but the running hasn't been happening.

I have been very active with my photography. I had a deadline last Friday that required all my spare attention for an entire week. I am excited that I may be showing some of my work again in a popular local gallery and I am waiting for the results of that.

This is the time of the year when my photography shuffles up to the top of my priority list. All winter long I just keep my head above water (snow?). I keep myself busy with other stuff, but come spring and summer, I am constantly outside capturing the light. 1.5 weeks ago was a classic example. I spent at least 8 hours wandering around Lowell photographing interesting things and then another 3 or 4 hours in front of my computer processing the images. I love the magic of it all. But the walking is good for me, so I never feel guilty about those days (my longest photo walk is about 13 hours).

Tonight though, I kept a promise to myself and I did a 5K run. It was slow, but it finally didn't feel like someone was stabbing the top of my hamstrings with knives. So the break was good for me physically and mentally.

At what point do you know and give yourself permission for a break?

0 comments:

Post a Comment